Wednesday 16 November 2016

Rembrandt: the descent from the cross

 I was  asked to look at 3 stages of, "the descent from the cross" by Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn. The first image I found entitled,  "The descent from the cross: a sketch,  1642.
This was the first image created of this scene,  it was made by etching and dry point in paper. The image is off Christ hanging on the cross after his death. There is a figure pulling out the nails from his body,  while other support him with a stretch of material wrapped round his upper half-This image is very sad to look at. There is someone looking as though he is praying under the cross, as well as onlookers bowing their heads in sorrow and disbelief.

 The second image I found was," descent from the cross: the second plate", 1633. This was made by etching and engraving on paper. Although this plate was made earlier that the previous one I mentioned, there is clearly more detail within this image. Straight away,  I am aware that it is a very different image from the first. The angle which Rembrandt has drew from provides more depth into the image as a whole. The first observation I made was the use of light and dark when the light is shining down on Christ. This alone acts as a spiritual feeling for the entire image.  The darkness of the background adds to the eeriness and disgust of what had happened. It is also clear to see that the people in the image are caring and considerate for Christ's body. This is shown through them supporting him while gently lowering him down. Onlookers are also fixated on the body of Christ,  I am unsure if it is more of a curiosity,  or if it is in disbelief.

 The third image,  "The descent from the cross by torchlight", 1654, etching and dry point printed on Japanese paper.  Again,  this image is completely different from the other two. The overall feel of the print is darker than the other two,  this print shows a stretcher being prepared to remove the body from the scene.  I feel this is more of a finalised emotion,  that there is nothing left to feel,  other than woe.

 I found this a slightly difficult task as I wasn't sure if I should have included,
               "Christ presented to the people"
or
         "Christ crucified between the two                            thieves:the three crosses".

However,  I feel that I have achieved a better understanding of the approach and emotion felt at the crucifixion of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment