Tuesday 15 November 2016

Wear and tear - painting techniques

This morning I have been working on my painting techniques to create texture,  form and a three-dimensional shape. I have be working from a soft toy - Jessie. She has no gloves left and she is no longer white due to children playing with her.
Initially I decided to use Acrylic paint to create the vibrant colours on her but I struggled to add depth with acrylic alone. I was then curious how watercolours would turn out. I was quite surprised how well they worked,  but they were good for some areas and not others. I felt the watercolour paint was perfect for adding little details such as, the blue on the jeans, the detail on the belt and adding a dirt and worn effect to represent wear on the 'white' fabric. I also discovered that I could add texture to the hat, which is what I needed to create a curved texture and shape.  I then decided to combine the two paints to create the best result. I used acrylic paint for the face and trousers,  aswell as the outline of the eyes and mouth.  I also used acrylic to paint the hands. After that, I used watercolour to paint the belt, jeans, shoes and the hat, aswell as the iris and button detail. The most important technique came at the end when I used watercolour in a criss cross pattern over the places that were dirty on the doll to add texture.

This image was produced using acrylic paint.

This image was created using watercolours and acrylic paint.

As you can see, the acrylic image appears quite flat, resembling a two dimentional image not a three-dimensional one. There is no depth or texture either.
After exploring the paint and techniques,  I now have a better idea of how I am going to produce my final image.

No comments:

Post a Comment