Wednesday 13 January 2016

Self portrait inspired by Frida Kahlo

This last week I have been trying to make a collection of work inspired by different movements.  I searched for the well-known Frida Kahlo, and noticed that she was mostly known for her self portraits.  I have not had much experience doing self portraits,  so I thought this would be a good opportunity to try one.
I came across 'The broken column' 1944, and was fixated on the painting.  I was curious about what it meant,  I discovered the painting was created after a horrific accident involving a bus when Kahlo was just a teenager. Kahlo had a real talent for creating a sense of pain and dispair throughout her work.  Within this piece of work there is a broken column where her spine should be and nails imbedded in her face and body.  I read that originally she painted herself naked for this portrait but at last minute decided to cover her body up with a sheet to resemble a hospital bed sheet.
I wanted to create a self portrait in the style of this painting,  I didn't want to copy, but recreate the feeling of pain and hopelessness.  I used oil paint to keep in with the feel of Kahlo's work.  I covered myself in scars to show a reminder of horrible things still visible and existing.  I also attached chains to my wrists and shown them secured to the ground,  this is to give the feeling of trapped,  weighted down and unable to escape.  The last thing I done was make a black tear in the cente of my body,  where my heart should be.  The idea behind this was to show that the heart was not visible to anyone but a dark,  tainted depth was in its place.  I felt very inspired by Freda Kahlo and was able to find a way of recreating a piece of art that reflected the inspiration I took from this incredible work of art.


No comments:

Post a Comment