Tuesday 19 January 2016

border Reivers Banner - finished design

For a class project,  I was to design a banner for the Border Reivers festival.  After experimenting with a variety of household paint,  batik dye, Acrylic paint and pens , I produced a banner which I am very pleased with.  Similar to my last banner design, I used blue Batik fabric dye to create a sky for the background. I started with a large piece of cotton and soaked water over the top half. I then added turquoise Batik dye using a variety of thicknesses then covered some of the sky with more water to create an uneven realistic effect. I then drew out the images I wanted on my banner, onto the material. I had already experimented with composition on some samples done previously so I knew exactly what I wanted to do.
 After drawing a battlefield scene, consisting of a man on a horse and 3 people of the opposition standing at the front, I mixed Dulux wall paint with different amounts of water to make the green fields. My aim was to make the furthest away field darker than the front to add  a more 3 dimensional effect to the banner.
I then used a mixture of wall paint and acrylic paints for the people, and added detail with sharpie pens .
I felt that the banner was still unfinished so I decided to take an extract from a poem in 'the reivers, story of the border reivers' book by Alistair Moffat. I decided to use a separate piece of fabric and used black pen to do the lettering. Still I felt I could have added something else to finish it off.
 I used a lighter to burn the edges of the fabric and glued it to the banner. This was to add effect to show burning, fire, destruction and devastation. I hope it worked, I am quite pleased with the result. To finish off I attached my banner to a curtain wire so it can be hung up-like a banner should be.
I really enjoyed making the banner and I felt the household paint worked very well and dried perfectly. the only fault I have, is with using water mixed with the paint , it did make quite a mess. Overall I am very pleased with what I have produced and would like to do something similar in the future.     













No comments:

Post a Comment