Monday 11 January 2016

The haining - menu design

I have been creating a menu for my Haining project.  Initially I was thinking about designing a uniform for staff to wear in the cafe but decided to design a menu instead.  I looked for some inspiration to help with my design.  I remember when I went to visit the Haining,  I noticed the loch,  the grand overall size of the house and the details on the outside of the building,  such as the pillars,  the balcony and the flower pattern on the front of the building.  On the grounds surrounding the building,  I remember the beautiful woodland and the red and orange flowers (crocosmia) surrounding the building. My first idea was to enlarge photos that I took of the loch,  woodland,  house etc,  then I thought about the building itself and the features on it.  I knew I wanted to have a cube design which I could have as a multifunctional menu and centre piece,  with the possibility of using a candle with it for the evening.  I had so many ideas streaming through my head so I decided to jump straight into the design and see what I could come up with.
My first design was 10cmx10xm with the roof height 8cm.  I cut out the side panels and inserted orange acetate, leaving a 1.5cm gap either side.  The reason for this was to add a candle, but I soon realised that with the menu constructed from only one piece of card,  it would not be practical.  Also,  the cardboard I used was quite thin so as soon as the cardboard bent,  it looked as though it would tear easy.
My next attempt,  I made the menu larger,  15x15cm, this worked much better.  I also used a thicker card to make it more sturdy.  I thought about how I could design the menu so it was practical for use and multifunctional.  I looked at various pictures I could use and thought about composition and how many sides to use as a menu.  I also had an idea of adding wheels below the menu so that it could move round the table with ease.  This is where the lengthy process began....
I constructed various designs using enlarged photographs, stickle bricks for wheels,  wooden balls and sticks for movement.  I also tried print making to create the pillars. I used orange and black acetate on the designs that I would use for using a light inside.  I feel I have explored many different ideas and options and I feel that,  as a whole I have provided a wide range of thought processes and creativity.































No comments:

Post a Comment