Thursday 5 May 2016

Phillipe Halsman photography influence

I have been thinking about what photographer's inspire me throughout my work. I came across the work of phillipe Halsman. I discovered that he began his photography in Paris.  In 1934 he opened a studio in Montparnasse where he photographed well-known artist's and writers. Some of these people were Andre Malroux,  Le Corbusier and Marc Chagall.
In 1940 Halsman and his family moved to the United States,  where he started a working relationship with Salvador Dali which would last for the next 37 years.
From 1941 an unusual style of photography developed between them, which resulted in such works,  'Dali Atomicus' and 'Dali's moustache' series.
From 1950 Halsman started to ask his clients to jump at the end of each section so that he could capture this moment with his camera,  these images became a very important part of his photography career. "every face I see seems to hide- and sometimes fleetingly to reveal -the mystery of another human being.  Capturing the revelation became the goal and passion of my life".  Halsman was interested in the expression and individual appearance of  people's faces. He carefully enhanced the feeling of emotion throughout his photography,  wether it was mysterious,  excited or joyful, the action in the image matched the facial expressions of the people in the photos.
Throughout his career,  Halsman obtained a vast amount of awards.  His photographs also made it on 101 covers of life magazine,  which was more than any other photographer had ever done. In 1945 he was also elected the first president of the American Society magazine.
Out of all the photography a few of my favourite works are:
His 'jumps' collection,
His work with artists and
The 'dance' series.
This is one of my favourite photos,  I could look at this image all day. what I like most is that, Halsman has been able to capture an unusual moment in time through composition and movement.  The lighting also adds to the direction of the photo with the top right Corner being dark. A very rare piece.

Another piece I find interesting, is the women positioned to create a skull. The composition of the women works brilliant in directing the eye around the figures.  The only query I have is wether the woman on the left should have her leg bent inwards.  I cant decide if this is deliberate,  as it takes away the symmetry from the rest of the formation.
An image from Dali's moustache collection,  this image appears to be simple but it made me wonder if Dali was positioned upside down at the time of this photo.   There seems to be a tension in his face,  not a negative expression, but it made me wonder if he was either upside down or holding his breathe at the time this was taken.  It could be that once developed,  the image was rotated to make it appear as if he was upright. I also like the perfect position of the moustache directed through the centre of his eyes.
This image has an interesting illusion effect about it, I also like how the numbers are in the wrong order.
This is an image from the dance collection,  at first glance I wondered how this image was taken,  the person appears to be in flight.  I then noticed the position of the plane. I realised that this photo would have been taken from the ground looking up, making it appear that the man was flying through the sky. It provides a very good effect and works well. This is a good example of how camera angle can alter the result of a photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment