Thursday 5 May 2016

Tool Aid repeat pattern - acetate

For one of my units I have been asked to look at tools for inspiration for a design.  Tools can include anything from garden and handheld tools to machinery.
I recently tried a repeat pattern design with a spanner on coloured backgrounds.  I quite enjoy pattern design,  so I wondered how else I could come up with another design.
I started with an a4 piece of acetate and cut it into 3 sections.  On the first piece,  I used a grey sharpie pen to draw a spanner.  On the second sheet,  I lay it on top of the drawing I just done,  then drew the shading to add a more 3 dimensional look. After removing that second sheet I placed my 3rd sheet on top of the first drawing,  then added the detail with a black sharpie.  I placed the images in order on top of one another to see if I was able to achieve an interesting result.  The idea was good but there was no depth to the image. I then took a separate piece of paper and drew a pattern which I saw on some packaging in a hardware store. After placing my 3 collected drawings on top of this, i hoped that it would add to a 3dimentional look. Unfortunately, due to the lightness of the pen, the background was visible through to the surface.
I felt that there must be something else I could do to achieve a better result, so after taking photographs on my phone,  I edited them with a filter.  This effect worked to a point but I still felt there was more I could do. I started experimenting with the collage option on my phone which created some interesting results,  I then took the collages I made then repeated the process again,  and again.  I feel that I have achieved an effective repeat pattern design digitally.  My next step would be to print of  a few  of the pattern designs and repeat them side by side. This could potentially be used to design a wallpaper,  clothing or a soft furnishing such as cushion covers or curtains.  I am very pleased with the outcome of this experiment.
 







                                    
                                   
                                  
                                                                                                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment